A few months ago Opolo.io sent us a Hardware Wallet for tests, we had already done the tests but we had not published our newsletter, today we tell you a little about how this wallet works, what we like and what we don’t.
Opolo is presented as one of the safest options, its web portal offers these functionalities listed below, we present our observations in this regard:
- Verificacion: It has a verifier from the app to know if the device is genuine or not, which we like to avoid copies that are registered with them and gives us this sense of security. The OPOLO hardware wallet comes with a unique, private key that is known only to OPOLO and it can be used for genuine device verification. Don’t worry about dupes!
- Has USB encryption: The USB communication between the OPOLO wallet and the desktop or mobile app is end-to-end encrypted with one of the most secure encryption algorithms in use today i.e. AES CBC with 256 bit key length.
- AntiTheft protection: For the ultimate security and protection of your crypto assets, the OPOLO wallet gets bricked and deletes the wallet data if there are 7 or more password failures, only 7 attempts to enter if not completely erased, save the keys in a safe place.
- PCB Encapsulation: OPOLO wallet PCBs are potted with chemicals so that no-one can tamper with the device circuit and the chips, providing the most extreme protection available against any hardware-based attacks. I think we are not going to try it because we could ruin the wallet but we think it’s great that it has this.
- Randomized Keyboard, every time you enter the wallet, the place of the keys changes, at first it is super strange but we understand that it is so that patterns cannot be traced, the letters are never in the same position. You can still change this functionality.
- OPOLO firmware is signed with OPOLO keys and encrypted when installed on the device. This helps us to protect the device from illegal firmware installations. The device will be bricked if any un-signed firmware installation attempt is made.
Their “Easy to use” proposal.. is real!
- RFID cards for recovery: One of the most attractive features has been the RFID recovery cards in the Wallet, you have 3 levels of recovery with the 3 cards it includes.
- Exchange Options not available for Expanse yet: It allows the Exchange using Changelly and Coin Switch but unfortunately Expanse is not in any so we could not test it.
- Huge screen: The screen is 3.2 inches and this makes viewing very easy.
- Mobile and Desktop app: currently it has an app only on Android phones and its wallet apps for PC in the 3 operating systems Windows, Linux and Mac and also an extra module for handling passwords. Which is awesome because you get to keep your passwords safe with Opolo as an extra future.
We don’t like the fact that Expanse exchange cannot be done very much but we do like the level of security a lot and the screen is great.
The interface is simple and quite orderly, although the initial configuration process is a bit complex, it is understood by the security issue that it raises, the fact that the device programs the RFID Card or reads it seems great to me.
The update implies confirming, connecting, changing the mode, installing and returning and that is a bit tedious but again it is something that will be done a few times and allows the security of the wallet.
Adding Expanse is super easy and is immediately configured and ready for anything. Adding tokens is currently only possible from Ethereum but soon we expect this future for Expanse Tokens now more than ever that tokens are super important.
In the desktop application it also has price charts for Expanse where we can quickly see its progress and improvement.
The transactions are directed directly to explorer.expanse.tech so that all transactions on the platform can be clearly seen.
Opolo has taken an excellent path in terms of security, a need so great at the moment that there is greater adoption, we believe that it becomes an excellent option for the growth of the crypto world is having, as well as Expanse is growing a lot, we believe that Opolo is one of the best options to store your Assets and perfectly supports our technology. Visit opolo.io for more information.